Sunday, March 06, 2005

sjölin = 'sea-flax'

for those reading this that know me, and have no idea what the significance of Sjölin is, and for those who speak swedish but do not know me, i will now explain. This is the story as it was told to me for almost two decades by my late grandfather:
There was once a young man, (your great-great grandfather) who lived with his family on a farm in Sweden. his name was Karl Sjölin and his family grew flax and lived near the sea. (now, in the swedish language, sjö means "sea" or "large lake", and lin means "flax"; so Sjölin literally means "seaflax".) as he grew older, Karl began to doubt whether he wanted to continue the family tradition of flax-farming. seeking out a more adventurous life, Karl left his family home, took a job working on a ship, and travelled the world. It is said that his father died of a broken heart not long after Karl left. after a time, Karl found himself in the U.S. and decided to settle down and marry. he found that people had extreme difficulty pronouncing his name correctly, so he asked a friend, who was a teacher, how better to spell it. That friend suggested the current spelling (which i have omitted since this will be viewed on the internets) . so that is the story of our swedish heritage and how our name came to be spelled the way it is today.
what i would like to point out is that people still have a hell of a time trying to pronounce my name, and i wish to say to that teacher, thanks for nothing.
truth be told, i wish the name had not been changed, and have even considered changing it back for the sake of preserving whatever i can of my geneological heritage.
as our culture becomes more homogenized, having those types of things to hold onto that have not been sterilized by past 'americanization' takes on great significance .

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you seriously use the word "homogenized?" I don't know what to say...I'm so proud of you.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandfather was also called Karl as well as his grandfather, etc. Their sons where callad Johan. Their lastname changed between Karlsson or Johansson = the son of Karl or the son of Johan.

When my Grandfather was drafted for the army early 1900 there where a lot of Karlssons so they frankly gave them new names. My grandfather got the name Sjölin.
Other typical army-names where Steel, Hard, Quick, etc.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Mvertigo said...

I thought that was you, Joe. Its rabid monkey, by the way. I'm happy to be a member of the "sea flax" family. I have also considered changing the spelling b/c YES, people do manage to mess up the 2 simple syllables that make up our name, and if one is going to mess it up anyway, I'd rather it be something that looks foreign at least. haha

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking up what my last name meant and I found your blog. I am a swedish Sjolin as well. Although I was told that when my ancestors came from Sweden our last name was too commmon so we changed it to Sjolin. I know how you feel about the mispronounciation. I've heard everything from su-jo-lin to joleen... It gets hard but I'll miss it and only plan to hyphenate when I get married.
Thanks for the info on my last name and I'm proud to be a Sjolin.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Terry Sjolin said...

I am Sjolin as well. I am not sure if we are related or not. My paternal great grandfather's name was Olaf Sjolin, and my grandfather's name was Elwood Sjolin. My grandfather is gone now, but I am survived by my father Larry Sjolin, my Uncle Gene Sjolin, my brothers, Larry Sjolin II and Craig Sjolin. I am very proud of my name. I get compliments on it all the time. After my divorce I went back to it and I don't ever plan on changing it again.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um so my last name is sholin, but I also have a family website that breaks down my family from Sweden down to 2 generations before me. It's www.sholin.org. Our last name from swedish spelling was at onetime sjölin.

Steven j sholin

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Jimmie Sjölin said...

Fun to know that there are some people from the U.S with ( almost)the same last name. Because I am from and live in sweden my namne is still Sjölin.. No

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Jennie Sjölin said...

I´m Jennie Sjölin Jims little sis.. I LOVE SJÖLIN!

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Peter F. T. Sjoelin said...

Well my great - great - grandfather went (escaped / emigrated) to Denmark during the Swedish depression during the 19th century.

I have never heard anything about what the surname really meant besides a hypothesis my father has about the meaning "A man living near the sea" / "Man of the Sea".

In Danish is the name spelled Sjølin (yes it is a ø) due to the similarities in the languages among Danish, Norwegian and Swedish. However I do also experience people who have difficulties with the pronunciation of the name. Typically they confuse it with another (not so famous) Swedish name, but rather popular Russian name "Stalin".

When it comes to the spelling in English then it is typically translated to Sjoelin to make the proper sound.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Randy Sjolin said...

Randy Sjolin said...

The story of my last name is similar to Karl's.

Great Great Grandfather joined the Swedish army and the changed his last name to protect his family if he was ever a prisioner of war.

Previously our last name was Upman and before that it was Nevenfelt.

Interesting blog to stumble across.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My last name is Shaleen. I am 3rd Generation Swedish-American. When my ancestors came to the United States they changed their last name from Sjolin to Shaleen. Is this blog still active?

11:22 PM  
Anonymous kid shaleen, sr said...

Hey Joe: another tip that may help is Karl married into a Southern Family named "Hardcastle". I haven't had much luck tracing that down. There is another connection with Cook County, Illinois. My Grandfather, Carl, had brothers, Clarence and Alfred, and sisters Myrtle and Edna(?). Did find John Shaleens gravestone in Ft Smith, Ark.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home