Monday, March 07, 2005

of auto-teller machines & ladies of the night

do you wanna hear my hooker story? yes, i knew that you would.
exactly one week ago i was preparing to make an atm transaction, just minding my own business, filling out my deposit slip. i then looked across the street and noticed a woman waving at an approaching car. i assumed that perhaps this was her pre-arranged ride and she was helping them to locate her. to my surprise, the car did not stop. neither did the woman's waving. in fact, she continued waving at nearly every car that approached. curious. i realized at this moment that i had two choices: 1) start my car and drive away, abandoning all depositing plans, yet avoiding a potentially uncomfortable situation. 2) recklessly carry out my scheme of using a walk-up atm knowing full well i would soon make her acquaintance.
so as i stepped out of my car, i purposefully went about my business, not to be distracted. i made it about two full strides before she addressed me. so began our time together:

k- hey can you help me out?
j- with what?
(bear in mind this was all hollered across a fairly busy street in nw okc during evening traffic)
k- i need some money.
j- i've got a dollar. (it was that or a twenty)
k- can you give me a ride?
j- no, i can't.
k- hold on, i'm coming over. get some extra out.
(i hurriedly finished my transaction and made a move toward my car)
k- here i come... hey, you're sexy!
j- why thank you.
(she sidled up beside me as if to put her arm around me, i extended my hand for a VERY formal handshake)
k- i'm kerrie.
j- joe. (extending the dollar)
k- didn't you just get money out of the atm?
j- i was making a deposit.
k- you got any time for me?
j- nope.
k- can you give me a ride?
j- can't.
k- you got any time for me later?
j- nope, i'm going home to my wife.
k- oh, for real? (takes dollar) see you later.
--------------------------------------------------
as i drove away and saw kerrie resume waving at oncoming traffic, many thoughts came to me at once.
what if someone had reported her prior to my arrival and the cops screamed up just as the dollar changed hands?
wow, she didn't look like any prostitute i have seen before (jeans, casual sweater, hair up in a band, no feather boa...)
more importantly, (the case manager & christian in me) what could i have done to actually make a difference in this woman's broken life?

unfortunately, no answers came. i don't think that was the kind of help she wanted anyway. i prayed for her, but didn't really know what to say. strange how difficult it becomes to stratify a group of people once you have been confronted with an individual, and can put a face or name to their "practices, choices, lifestyle, religion, etc."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home