Friday, April 14, 2006

i dreamed a dream

i have never been much of an audiophile... or at least never one who has been willing or able to spend much money on whatever the gadget of the day might happen to be. as far as listening to my music goes, i have always been content with whatever i could get my hands on for mode of play. from the humble beginnings of a cheap gpx walkman to a nicer sony walkman, then a cd boombox followed by discman, then years later moving on to a minidisc player & now ipod, i have usually been well behind the times [i didn't even start listening to any music regularly until the 9th grade, & even then it was contemorary christian!]. i am certainly not complaining, especially since i got my minidisc player/ recorder on clearance & my ipod for free... & remember those glorious days of napster?

anyway, in keeping with my fashion of maximizing listening pleasure while minimizing cost, i have had an epiphany. it came this past week while i was reading Staring at Sound. cutting to the point, the flaming lips released a 4 disc album meant to be played simultaneously on 4 different cd players... the way each disc was mixed, along with the arrangement of 4 cd players apparently had results greater than the sum of its parts. i can't share my idea yet, lest some of you steal it & sabotage my plans [though i'm sure if you've read between the lines, you have already figured it out]. i have a humble request:

give me your tired, your poor, your old/unused but working stereo speakers & equipment that is out in the garage, boomboxes, computer speakers, etc, your huddled masses yearning to breath free...

i'll also probably be soliciting some of you for technical assistance... that's right andy, ryan, i'm lookin at you. keep in mind that this is an entirely selfish request, & while others may be able to share in my enjoyment, i am not asking you to lend me anything you ever want back. help me make the next leap in my own personal music listening enjoyment!

i lift my lamp beside the golden door...

-postscript-
just leave me a message here or on myspace if you have any donations, & i'll gladly come by to pick them up. also, if anyone has any leads on a decent working record player... i might be intere$ted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home